Iowa - Fluctuating salary overtime pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa - Fluctuating salary overtime pay

Are there base guidelines for companies who pay a fluctuating overtime pay?

I'll try to explain my question in more detail. I worked in an irrigation department for a landscaping company. When first hired we are payed hourly until our training is over. At this time we are then labeled "Foreman" and begin to receive salary for 40 hours and a fluctuating pay for overtime hours worked.

Last year my average pay for overtime hours did not even meet standard minimum wage. I receive $7.17/hour for every overtime hour worked in 2013.

At the start of the 2013 year my 40 hour salary pay was $400/week and ended the year at $475/week.

There was commission monies that could be earned but I don't want this to get too confusing so i will stop there and answer any questions that might help fill in some blanks.

Until some of the real payroll experts arrive on the scene, here you can find some basics about this method of pay http://www.wage-hour.net/post/2011/0...eek-Plans.aspx
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It is also possible you fall under the law as an agricultural worker. http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs12.htm
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Easy stuff first. There is no way that either exception mentioned would impact minimum wage. You can file a claim with federal DOL for a MW violation.

Overtime is more complicated. I am not expert enough on Agricultural worker exception to see if that applies but give DOL a call and ask them. If it applies, then there is no OT premium required.

Fluctuating Workweek (FWW) method is (a lot) more complicated. Read the cited reference, but one of the requirements is that the employer told you ahead of time. Past that there are a bunch of rules which need to be followed. Read the sheet, then re-ask your question.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X