No announcement yet.

Iowa - last check/insurance question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa - last check/insurance question...

I had a fall out with my previous employer I did seasonal work for. I gave an email letter of resignation to my immediate supervisor who also happens to be a minority owner. In this email I also gave my permission and preference to receive any remaining compensations through the mail. They have all my uniforms and no reason that would allow them to hold my last paycheck in my mind.

Is there a time frame that the last check has to be mailed out by?...and do they have to stop payments on my insurance on the date i resigned?

Under Iowa law, your employer must release your final pay by the next regular payday after the last day of work.

Your insurance ends according to the insurance policy. Sometimes it's the last day of work; other times it's the last day of the month in which your employment ends. On rare occasions it's the end of the month prior to your last day of work. We have no way to know which your policy says.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I was wondering more about mailing the final check..from my understanding it has to be available for pick-up in person that next pay day as you mentioned, but I refuse to personally pick it up due to how things ended with the company and requested it be mailed.

So I was wondering if there was a time frame on that process...

Comment

I cannot find anything on the Iowa state website that refers to a means of release. Nothing I could find said anything mandating that the check be picked up in person or that mailing had to be requested.

Unless the IA state DOL has a vastly different interpretation that the other 49 states, as long as the check is postmarked on or before the date of the next regular payday, it will be considered to have been paid on a timely basis.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks cbg...i appreciate it.

I figured they would maybe have a month buffer so to say, but it is now 6 days past a month and I haven't received anything..pay check or stub, and i know i had something coming but not much since i wasn't working full time due to this being a seasonal job. I realize my compensations may have been used on insurance, but to not even receive a pay stub with deductions has brought me here.

Comment

You can certainly file a wage claim with the IA state DOL if you have not been paid appropriately.

Comment

Yeah that was the next step I was going to pursue, I just wanted to be thorough and make sure I wasn't in the wrong before wasting others time and efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by sb50310 View Post
                Yeah that was the next step I was going to pursue, I just wanted to be thorough and make sure I wasn't in the wrong before wasting others time and efforts.
                A model OP.

Comment

Working...
                X