This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hour reduction Iowa

Can an employer reduce a fulltime employee to part-time against his will as a form of punishment?

Unless a legally binding contract or CBA says otherwise, yes.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Not exactly your question, but is this an exempt or a nonexempt employee?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

This is not a salaried position its hourly but what do youmean by exempt

Comment

"Hourly" and "salaried" are merely pay methods. If you are paid on an hourly basis, you are almost certainly nonexempt. That means that legally you only have to be paid for hours worked and no more.

If you were "salaried exempt" (as in, exempt from entitlement to overtime pay and minimum wage) you would have to be paid for the holiday (assuming the company was closed that day) whether you had worked the day before and the day after or not. Certain duties tests AND a minimum weekly salary must be met for exempt status.

But, since you are nonexempt, it's back to the company policy.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X