X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political coercion in the workplace Iowa

Hi, first post.

So the owner of the company I work for recently sent out an e-mail to all staff. In it was a link to a partisan hack opinion piece out of the wall street journal. He urged us to contact our elected officials and fight against "ObamaCare".

Is this coercion? Is it against the law? and if so, well, what do I do from there?

No and no. He is expressing his opinion and asking that you do the same. He's allowed to do that.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

pfft, asking me to share HIS opinion.

From what I can gather (it is distressingly hard to find out what's legal or not), this is explicitly illegal in Missouri and California, and "several other states". but I guess not Iowa.

I'm pretty sure that if I came out as a democrat that they'd find a reason to fire me. Which kind of sucks, and makes for a distressing work environment.

Comment

Did he tell you you were required to take the same political position as he? Is your job continent upon it? Are you subject to adverse treatment if you don't?

If not, then he has the right to express his opinion and to urge others to share it.

BTW, political affiliation is only protected in two states and the District of Columbia.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Did he tell you you were required to take the same political position as he?
          Well no, not in so many words. And if push came to shove I'm sure he wouldn't say that it is.

Is your job continent upon it?
          Yes, it probably is.

Are you subject to adverse treatment if you don't?
          Yes. Defiantly yes. Demonstratively with verifiable proof and testimony yes. One of the other guys "used to be" a democrat. Whenever politics come up, which is about twice a week around 4pm when the boss is clock watching but can't leave yet, then it's "hey Bob*, guess what your president said today". Or "Well we can all blame Bob* for electing Obama". Bob* has wisely changed his ways and come around. He still takes a lot of **** for it though.

I'm employed by a racist, sexist, brow beating republican who thinks that employees personal lives directly reflects on the company. And yes, I have examples for all of this, but actually stating them would have a chance of revealing me. Unfortunately, he's a lot more politically secure in his position then I am and even though HR made it clear that no one deserves to work in a hostile environment, due to the way their policy is worded I'm pretty sure I'd be out the door if I actually brought it up. And it's a small enough company that any hope for anonymity is fruitless.

Eventually it's going to come out, and eventually he'll turn on me and make working there absolutely suck. If I haven't found employment elsewhere before that point, what the heck should I do?

*names changed to protect my own fearful self.

Comment

By adverse treatment, I meant being demoted, having your pay reduced, being fired, etc. You have still described nothing that is not covered by the free expression of ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X