This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sue the machinists union Iowa

Is it possible to sue the machinists union for not representing it's members properly? If so, how would a member go about doing it? I realize that this is a very vague question, if specifics were needed I'd be willing to discuss them.
    Thanx in advance!

I would assume you would need to get an attorney that specializes in unions.

However, have you taken all remedies available to you under your contract or the National Labor Relations Act?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would say your first step is to talk to the NLRB. Have you done that yet?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, since the NLRB enforces the NLRA that I mentioned.
        Last edited by Betty3; 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Some unions are weak, spineless, or even in bed with the companies they are supposed to protect us from. The NLRB would be one of your major resources, though the state may also have some laws and agencies regarding this.

Comment

Thrifty Iowan, please do not post to dead threads. This thread is over 6 months old and the poster was already given the advice you posted.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I disagree that I did not add anything, but so be it. I honestly would like to know why message boards have so many angry posts about replying to old threads. Why does it matter how old it is if the questions or answers are still relevant. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I honestly do not get what the problem is or why so many people feel it's their duty to enforce it. I ask a perfectly valid question in one part of the forum and hear nothing, but by mistake I don't read the time stamps on one thread and I almost immediately get a reply. Kinda silly, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

First, I disagree that they are "angry" responses. It was a simple request.

Perhaps you do not understand how this forum (and many, many others like it) operate. It is staffed by unpaid volunteers who do this on their own time, juggling it with their families and their jobs and their other responsibilities. No one is getting paid to respond and not everyone knows the answer to every question. When you post here, you might get an answer immediately or you might not get one for several hours, or even days, until someone who knows the answer, or your state's laws on the subject, or is willing to take the time to do your research, happens by. We have some very knowledgable responders on some subjects that only come by every month or so, in fact.

The responders who come by regularly have only limited time to post. When you resurrect an old thread, which may well have been resolved as far as the poster is concerned and who in many cases is no longer stopping by to see your response, you bring it forward so that it looks like a new question. Just as you did not notice the time stamp, the responders can't see it either until they've opened the thread. They don't want to spend their limited time responding to a newly resurrected dead thread when they could spend that same time responding to a new issue that doesn't have any answers and is still ongoing. If you open it, read it, gain the information you need from it, and close it without responding, it remains where it is and doesn't rise to the top of the new posts. But when you respond, you are potentially preventing someone else from getting the answer they need by using up the time of the responder.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

A lot of forums have a feature to auto-lock threads past a certain date. With the low activity here, I'm sure I can be forgiven for not realizing it was old. I'm sorry if my tone was touchy, but I am going through mega stress right now over a retaliation issue.

Comment

Actually, I would vote for auto-locking threads after a certain number of months. While yes once in a great while the OP follows up, necro-posting is much more likely. And just think of all of the spammers that this action will annoy.
                    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I have suggested the auto-lock in the past but it is not my decision to make.

Comment

Working...
                      X