This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (When) Did Iowa Law Chg? Iowa

There were provisions in the IC regarding OT and split shift/wait time (eg hourly empee clocks out & back in within 2 hrs...paid for that time). I used that code sec back in 1993-4, but now cannot find anything but ref to flsa which has no such provision.

Did it move within the code, or to the admin code; or was it repealled?

I am aware of several MR residents of a county home that work at the in-house laundry. They are clocked in to fold clothes/linens from the dryer, then clocked out while the next load is drying. The cycle time is so short the off-clock time cannot be used (paid 15-35 mins of folding, then unpaid for 10-20 mins of waiting).

thankx

That's 15 years ago. None of the regular responders here are in Iowa, so we would have no idea. I don't even remember where I lived 15 years ago, but I know it wasn't Iowa.

There are no "split shift" or "reporting time" pay laws in Iowa now that I could find (don't know if there ever were or if wherever you were at the time paid it anyway).

Under the FLSA, however, the time the laundry workers wait for the laundry in the dryer is almost certainly compensable time. Both because the time is "engaged to be waiting" and because "breaks" (even if they were doing nothing, walking around the building, having a cigarette, etc.) under 20 minutes must be paid.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.15.htm
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.18.htm
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Since we are talking about individuals with MR working and living in a county home then before going any further we will need to know if they are working under the special less than minimum wage exemption.

I have a lot of experience in paying workers under this exemption (in Iowa) and also piece rate under the exemption but in order to figure out exactly what is and isn't legal the entire situation needs to be examined. What are they doing when they are waiting? Are they going back to their rooms or waiting in the laundry room?

I'll try to help as much as I can but each situation is so specific...

Comment

Thanks, rangeman. I didn't know what MR stood for.

But I don't think that the definition of hours worked would be different.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X