This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation letter question Indiana

I want to resign giving 2 weeks notice. The company has accepted 2 resignations in the past 2 weeks from 2 other employees, so I will be the 3rd. Last October my physician told me if I didn't have a major lifestyle change (employment) I ultimately would fall apart. I've hit the wall. Went back to the physician this week and was told I no longer have the option to try and see if things get better at my place of employment. Get out or suffer total collapse.

There were things happening there that were not right and probably not legal. We are non-exempt registered nurse case managers. We were forced to put down on our time sheets that we took 30 min. for lunch although they were aware we were working through lunch. One of the persons who quit had been "written up" for taking too long to complete paperwork, so she was doing it at home, for free, so she could retain her job until she found other employment. Other nurses are now doing the same thing....completing paperwork on their own time in order to retain their jobs.

We were not compensated for on-call telephone work/documentation which at times ran into several hours of time, other that the minimal beeper pay >3.00 hr.
    I am considering filing a complaint with the department of labor for those wages. I was afraid to do it before because I knew they would fire me.

When I was hired, I was expected to carry a caseload of 8-10 patients. I was paid for telephone on-call work at a rate of 1.5, the same as if I had been called out to make a nurse home visit on call. Now I am expected to carry 12-15 patients and they stopped paying us for telephone work on-call, have now started scheduling assignments while we are "on call." We work 40 hours a week regular hours, may be called out all night, and have to report in for work the next day.

It is no longer physically and/or emotionally possible to meet the demands they place on use. They have increased our caseloads and the paperwork, but are demanding no overtime, then writing us up or otherwise treating us poorly.

Sadly, I have been with this organization over 10 years. It's simply time to go. I am 62 so I guess I qualify for early retirement, though I had not planned to do this.

My husband said I should simply do only what I am able to do, turn in the time I worked, let the rest slide, and let them fire me so I could gain unemployment. I guess my thoughts are they are now desperate for help since 2 have quit and the nurses remaining will now be expected to pick up extra patients and call...I am actually afraid they wouldn't fire me until they get new hires trained (that takes about 2 mo) and I don't have it physically or emotionally to last 2 more months.

3 nurses have visited their physicians and are now receiving medication for anxiety/panic attacks, it is that bad. Our former medical director also had to resort to medication and a trip to the ER for panic attack before he left. So, I don't think it is just me. I've tried to stick it out, I just can't do it anymore.

What should I say in my letter of resignation?

Say what is necessary--do not say more

I have written a fair number of resignation letters, and have accepted a larger number. The best are concise, and don't go into detail.

My favorite (written by me), was "I resign, effective xx/xx/xx, because I do not choose to work here anymore".

In an at will relationship, you don't have to provide a reason, and the more talking you do, the more opportunity you give to the employer or anyone reviewing the circumstance to become confused.

Comment

That makes sense. Actually, I think I will omit everything after the date; just "I resign effective (date). I don't owe them an explanation.

Thanks.

Comment

Realize that an employer may decide to accept your resignation effective immediately and not have to pay you for those two weeks.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

If your employer accepts your resignation immediately, you might be able to get unemployment ins. for the time you would have worked. However, In. does have
          a one week waiting period for benefits.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Not clear on this point. If I turn in 2 weeks, but they say go now, and I say, No, I want to work 2 weeks, would that be considering firing me? Would I then be able to collect unemployment for the 2 weeks I wanted to work or just basic unemployment for whatever that entails....?

Comment

It's really just accepting your resignation early. However; since you did give 2
              weeks notice, some states will pay UI for the notice period. However, in In. there
              is a 1 week waiting period before any benefits are payable. You would have to
              file a claim with your state UI office - they will make the decision whether you are
              entitled to any benefits for any of that time or not.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It is confusing. If you do the right thing and give two weeks notice, your employer may accept your resignation immediately, leaving you without pay for those two weeks. This behavior (at least in my world) was never done in the past. If an employer decided to send a resigning employee home immediately, the employer paid the two weeks anyway, even though there was no legal obligation to do that. Others on this board have had other experiences.

But, in today's world, employers are doing that. You turn in a resignation with two weeks notice. The employer says go home today and you get no farther pay. This leads me to recommend, that if you are worried that your employer may do that, wait until you are ready to leave before you resign. This, which has previously been considered unprofessional behavior by the employee, is justified by what is unprofessional behavior by the employer.

Of course, if your employer is one who continues to live by the old standards and have you either work out the two weeks or pay you in lieu thereof, follow the traditional standard of giving two weeks notice.
                Last edited by Scott67; 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM.
                Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                X