This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot Wrong Indiana

Ok I work in IN, and have a lot of questions about a County agency I work for. I am a deputy Coroner and when I started as a reserve (non-paid) i heard the full timers talk about their hours and now I work paid I have even more questions. So here I go.....
    1. I work either 7-am -7pm or just the opposite, twelve hour shifts and work two days on 1 day off averaging aroud 160 hrs a week. Why am I not getting paid overtime?

2. I am listed as part-time even though I work the same hours as full timers sometimes more I am not receiving any full time benefits. Can they do this??

3. When I started they were doing 24 hr shifts but paying only for 12.5 hrs of that shift and making the employees document it this way. They still for full timers only pay for 7.5 hrs of a 12 hour shift.

4. When on a shift if working 7am -7-pm you must be in the office for 8 full hours and then you are on-call after that. But if there is a call out you still only get 7.5 hrs paid. When I am on call I have a company vehicle and then at the end of my shift I must drive to the office to return it.

5. I understand there is a professional and investigator clause for exemption in the FLSA overtime law but I dont know if this applies here or not, as we dont have extensive training just a 40 hr certification course requirement.

I know this is a lot to digest but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Contact the federal or state DOL and ask them if your certification alone qualifies you for the professional exemption.

Aren't coroners normally MDs?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      Aren't coroners normally MDs?
      Re a deputy coroner - A bachelor's degree is the minimum formal education required for a deputy coroner. However, many places also require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or even a law degree.

It is the forensic pathologist that MUST be a board certified MD in pathology.

Our neighbor two houses down was a deputy coroner & he wasn't an MD and/or lawyer. I don't know what education he had though for sure but I think his son said one time master's degree.
      Last edited by Betty3; 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Heck, one of our firefighters moonlights as a deputy coroner. We had to draw up some documents to make sure that the 2 jobs stayed separate.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X