This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payroll deduction for monies owed

I work for a car dealership in Schaumburg, IL. I had work done on my cousin's car (oil change). When I went to pay the bill a few weeks later (many employees "float" their bill until the end of the month), I found out the office had gone ahead & "paid" the bill through payroll deduction without informing me. Is this allowed? I understood a payroll deduction for an internal issue required a signature from me (or at least a notification first). Is this the case or not?

Yes, it is and it must be written and expressly for that particular reason.
    http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qawage.htm

I would point that out to the employer for the future, but to be honest, I wouldn't be making a big deal out of it at this point. You did owe the money and they do "let it slide" until the end of the month. You might ask if the "settling up" at month-end policy is going to continue, or if you should be signing a deduction authorization when the work is done, if they're changing the policy to payroll deduct only.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X