This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary Overtime

I currently work for a manufacturing company in Illinois, as a Manufacturing Engineer. My company has recently made Saturday's "Business as Usual" and is requiring all salaried employees to work Saturday's ( I should stress only the Exempt salaried employees). We are considered Exempt employees. I somewhat understand the exempt and non-exempt classifications. Since we are considered a "Professional", we fall under the Salaried Exempt. We do, however, spend a majority of our time working on equipment in the plant. Can this be considered performing day-to-day work necessary for an employer to fulfill it mission?

Basically, is my company doing anything wrong?

Just curious,

Business_as_Usual

Not on the basis of what you've posted, no. There is nothing in the law that says exempt employees can't be asked to help out in a pinch. One day a week working in the plant is not going to destroy the exemption if the rest of the week is spent on legitimately exempt duties.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X