This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't get extra day for holidays

I started this job in November (unwittingly flushing my career down the toilet...but that's another thread). I was told I would get holidays off. My work week is Tuesday - Saturday. I am the only employee with this work week. When a holiday falls on Monday (which many of them do) everybody gets an extra day off except me. Following are excerpts from emails to and from my boss:
    From me: I'd like to switch days off next week from Monday to Tuesday. What do you think?
    From boss: Are you asking for an additional day off next week then?
    From me: Well, since everybody else gets one.....
    Isn't he being kind of a stinker?
    What can I do?
    Last edited by Career Down the Toilet; 07-01-2005, 11:17 AM. Reason: select icon

This just in....

new reply from the boss: Suit yourself.

Comment

It may be that he's being kind of a stinker, but he's not doing anything illegal. It is not unusual for a company to refuse to offer an extra day off to employees' whose regular day off falls on a holiday. Holiday time off is a benefit offered so that employees may spend the holiday with their families, and since you're not working on the holiday you have that. They have no legal obligation to let you have another day off as well. That's not the point of having holidays.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X