X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training compensation

Illinois.

I own a construction company in Illinois. My overtime policy is time and a half after 8 hours a day Mon.- Fri. Time and half all day sat. Double time for Sundays and Holidays.

I want to conduct training classes for my employees on Saturdays.

Two questions, Do I have to pay my employees the regular hourly rate they normally receive? Secondly, do I have to pay them overtime?

I want to add to the previous thread and point out that the training will take place at a current construction site. Do I also need to be concerned with workmens compensation / injury issue for my employees?

Comment

You can pay your employees as little as minimum wage for the training as long as you advise them in advance. And legally, you are already paying more overtime than is required by law. But let's say this is the scenario, here is the MINIMUM you would have to pay the employee under the law:

Employee worked M-F 9 hrs per day @ $20/hr
      Employee in training on Sat. 8 hrs @ $10/hr

Straight-time pay 45 hrs @ $20 + 8 hrs @ $10 = $980
      Regular rate of pay = $980/53 hrs worked = $18.49
      Premium portion of overtime = $18.49 * .5 * 13 hrs = $120.19
      Total gross pay = $1,100.19

Anything above that, you are legally fine.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I was thinking that was the case. I realize that I'm not required to pay the overtime as I currently do, however mine is a highly competetive arena when it comes to good help.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you have to do more than what is required by law to get the good employees. Good luck in your business.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X