This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager/Employee Confidentiality

I had a meeting with my "manager" yesterday. Well he is unusually close with a we work with, they go to lunch talk on the phone and shes even cleaning his house for money on the weekend. Well this morning i came into work and i have reason to believe they were discussing my meeting on the phone and acted very suspicious after i walked in. What if any are my legal rights here?

If you were in any other state except Illinois, I would be telling you that the only information an employer is required by law to keep confidential is medical information.

Illinois has slightly stiffer requirements. However, we do not have enough information to know if there have been any laws violated. What kinds of information was discussed in your meeting and what is your reason to believe that it was discussed with the other employee?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

response

Ok well like 2 weeks ago i wanted to go to kentucky to buy some rental property. i gave a verbal 2 week notice of a few days but then in email i sent that was only about a week asked to have 4 days off. he made a comment about me taking time off so i replied to him, and his boss saying that i did not want to jeopardize my job and i cancelled my trip. So moments after i sent this email i see his extention light up on my phone and the girl who sits behind me her phone starts to ring. she picks up and is quiet for a minute, and then goes on to say. "well dont take it the wrong way sometimes women can be like that. Yeah but try to look at it from her situation she wanted to go, and then you made a big deal out of nothing." in the process of her talking i got up and went into his office where our filing cabinets are. while searching for an invoice he (my boss) sat idle with the phone to his ear. then says lets go get something from 7/11. hangs up the phone and as i walk to my desk maria walks to meet him and the 2 exit together.

So my boss these past 2 weeks has been harrassing me and watching over everything i do. checking his watch when i walk out the door, sending me numerous emails on projects i am working on when i had given him updates earlier that day, watching what im doing when he will come over to socialize with the girl who sits behind me. so this was starting to aggervate me. i told him we needed too have a meeting because i was uncomfortable with his mamagement tactics, and the way he was micro-managing me.

we go into the meeting and discussed various topics he brought up issues about me socializing to much taking a lot of breaks, and other misc. issues which he had NO concrete documentation to back it up just that someone came and told him that was happening. ONE time even cutting me off mid sentence and saying "GOD WOMAN" and got frustrated with what i was saying. i almost started to cry because he said that and him making accusing me of things that were absolutely in no way true. i asked him to provide proof of accusations then suddenly he didnt believe what the people were saying, so proof dont matter. (in his words)

so then right after the meeting. same thing i see his phone light up maria answers and they amke arrangements to go somewhere, and then go together. which this was yesterday. so today this morning. again his light goes on her phone rings except this time she is whispering as if they know i am on to what is happening. i go into andrews office. and he sits there witht he phone to his ear and says nothing for at least 3 mintues just sorta anxiously looking over at me and stuff. then he just hangs up the phone i go back to my desk maira is off the phone on her way into his office. she is in there for about 5-6 minutes and then they go out together and come back. that was the last straw for me i dont know what to do!
      Last edited by tracygirl81; 03-01-2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Um, Tracy, I don't know how to say this without being accused of being rude and harsh and all kinds of other nasty things, but it's a little arrogant of you to assume that the phone call you describe in your first paragraph had to be about you.

Checking his watch and watching what you're doing are not illegal and do not afford you with any legal protections. It is not illegal to micromanage.

He does not have to have documentation if he believes you are socializing too much. Nor does he have to provide you with proof. If anything, it's the other way around; you need to prove that you are not socializing too much. Your employer is not a court of law and the law of evidence do not apply.

EVEN IF he is discussing any of this with the other employee, and you have not convinced me that this is happening (not everything is about you) that does not violate any laws. At worst, it's slightly unprofessional and might be a violation of company policy. But it's not something you can sue for.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

response

i was just feeling like that is what was going on. Maybe i was jumping to conclusions because of the meeting we just had and everything else. I was feeling defensive also because i was not doing these things and i keep very detailed logs of every time i leave my desk and exactly where i am at so i am not worried about providing proof to him if it came down to that. When i am here i always work hard and he even told me in the meeting that my company is very satisfied with my work, and thats why he has not said anything about it prior to that meeting. i do feel that was a little discriminating for him to refer to me as "woman" but i guess if need be i can seek legal advise from a lawyer here, thank you for your help!

Comment

Sorry, but that's not illegal discrimination either.

Comment

Response

Well i work for a government agency and i pulled out the regulations and policy proceudres did some research and according to it he can lose his job for that!

Comment

This is the first time you've mentioned that little detail, not like it matters a whole lot. If you want to sue him for that, you go right ahead. I think you're overreacting badly and acting like a spoiled child, if you want to know the truth, but if it will make you feel better to sue him for calling you Woman, than you go ahead and show how mature you are (not).

Comment

Right i am the one being spoiled. I am tired of being micro-managed by him and that remark he made to me was totally uncalled for. I am not trying to sue anyone. I was simply asking what my legal rights are. I am a professional accountant being compensated well for the work i do. i have been in management myself at smaller companies several times prior to my employment here and he does not know how to manage. Considering this is his first management position, and i am the only one he "manages" i am tired of being used as a test dummy through his trial and error of being a manager over a position which is only understands half of. i have been with my company 2 years. before i came a consultant was in doing this job who reported to outside services. hes clueless as to what he is doing. you on the other hand seem to know everything. i like how you are so quick to judge and start name calling (and you say im acting immature?). i was simply asking for professional advise on a situation i see i have come to the wrong place, i was not in any way asking you what your personal opinion was about me.

Comment

So he doesn't know how to manage, in your opinion. Doesn't make anything you posted illegal. Find another position where you're happier.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I didn't say you WERE a spoiled little girl - I said you were acting like one. Sometimes it takes a spanking or a swift kick in the butt to show someone how they are coming across. If the attitude you showed here is the same one you show in the office, it would explain why he feels he has to micromanage you. I don't like being micromanaged either but it doesn't provide either one of us with any legal recourse. You don't have the right to be managed in the way you want to be managed.

Comment

response

both of you are absolutely correct, what was i thinking!?!?!?!?!? i mean if someone tells me i cant use a black ink pen i have to use blue thats completely acceptable. (in my opinion) hes an arrogant jerk!

Comment

I'm not saying I approve of the way he's acting. I'm saying he's not violating any laws and that micromanaging you does not give you any legal recourse.

Comment

Well, what if it was a sparkly, purple pen? I'm kidding. Great, he's a jerk. Find a new job.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                            (unique up on him)
                            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                            (same way)

Comment

Working...
                            X