This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Child Support Evaluation

My husband's ex is on public aid and they re-evaluate child support every 3 years. The years will be up in March or April. My question is, do they go back to the previous year to calculate what the new payments will be, or do they calculate it off what he is making right now? Also, can they figure in the overtime he works? He doesn't always work overtime and sometimes, he doesn't even get 8 hours in a day. I don't want to see her get anymore money than she absolutely has too, because it does not go to support the child as it should. She is all the time calling and asking us if we can get this and get that for the little girl. She is getting enough child support right now to buy the things the child needs, and we pay for half of all of her extracurricular activites. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Last edited by tiesha81; 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM.

The court will likely look at 2-3 years income in setting the support. I suggest that when the mother calls that you tell her that she receives support and that maybe the father needs to have the child more and maybe seek custody of the child since the mother cannot budget to meet the child's needs with the support given. And maybe this time, the father should pursue custody if it can be proved to be in the child's best interest. That should get her changing her tune and mount a serious challenge because othewise she sounds like the type who will always be like that and it is a lose-lose situation no matter what you do. Maybe the child should grow up learning different values.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response; I have had another family crisis to deal with. Anyway, things will change as far as her budget in the next few months. The child support will be up for evaluation and my husband is making more than he was when it was first established. If it goes up as much as we are anticipating, she will be on her own. We won't be able to afford to pay the child support plus pay for half of her extra curricular activities and buy this and buy that for her. It's not that she CAN'T budget the child's needs on the amont of support given now, it's that she would rather have her nails done or buy herself something new. It's her first, kids last.
      We haven't gone after custody, because we don't think it's in the best interest of the child. The child is a huge mommy's girl and after a couple of days with us, she is ready to home to mommy and her 2 brothers. I think it would be a very traumatic move for her if we were to seek and win full custody.
      If the child support is raised to more than we can afford, can we have it reduced?

Comment

Originally posted by tiesha81
        We won't be able to afford to pay the child support plus pay for half of her extra curricular activities and buy this and buy that for her.
        If the child support is raised to more than we can afford, can we have it reduced?
        The CS will be based on income according to state guidelines so no you won't be able to get it lowered after it is set.

However, if finances are tight you do not HAVE TO pay for anything that isn't specified in the court order. If the cost of extracurricular activies, and this and that are not specified in the order, simply tell CP that those costs can't be covered, that's what CS is for.
        Xena

Comment

Working...
        X