This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuition Reimbursement Repayment Illinois

Recently I left and Illinois company to work for another Illinois corporation and my former employer is seeking tuition reimbursement which I received in 2005 for classes taken in March through June, 2005. The former employer's policy is twelve months past date of payment for which an employee has to remain employed to not have to repay the tuition reimbursement. Here is the language I agreed to verbatim, but leaving out the company's name

"I understand that the financial aid under the Educational Assistance Program is for full-time regular employees and Company will reimburse me for tuition, registration, book and standard fees up to $5,000 per calendar year. I understand that I must present certification of satisfactory completion (as defined by the school, but no lower than a grade of "C" or its equivalent) within (60) days following completion as a condition for payment along with satisfactory proof of payment in the form of an itemized receipt from the school. If an employee volunarily terminates employment prior to one year following payment of tuition reimbursement, he/she will be responsible for repayment of the reimbursement amount to Company"

Can someone shed some light on whether or not this is something I am legally obligated to repay this?

Your help is incredibly valuable to me!

W.S.

Why do you think you wouldn't be?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't think I should be, but I would pay if I knew that this was a binding contract

My former employer tried to violate my rights by denying me my final paycheck and telling me year end bonuses (I resigned on 1/3/06) were not going to be paid to me either. I had a great relationship up until the final days when my former HR department decided to create animosity by telling me they were going to punish me for leaving before the full year was up. I am not trying to "weasel" out of it but I want to know my rights and follow the law.

Comment

You'd need to have the agreement reviewed by a local attorney, but generally those agreements will hold up in court if it comes to that.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

See, two wrongs don't make a right here. You had recourse if your final pay was late; you file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor. Whether the bonuses are payable or not may depend upon your contract as well, but the DOL may enforce that too, if they were totally earned while employed (that's an anomaly in Illinois; at least it was several years ago when I posed the question of the DOL by phone).
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X