This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about workforce rules in Illinois

I work in a technical support call center in Illinois as a non exempt employee. They have a rather strict attendance policy that has been recently modified. We are required to login exactly at the start of our shift, which is fine, but we are also expected to be in an available state ready to take a call as soon as we log in. On the face of it, this sounds reasonable, however, we are also required to boot and log in to our pc's and launch half a dozen applications that are necessary to do our job. The only way to do this is to arrive 5-10 minutes early in order to do this, as we are given no time to do so once we log onto our phones. This may not seem like much, but 5-10 minutes unpaid 5 days a week, X 52 weeks a year, X 40 techs, does add up to a decent sum of money. Is this legal?

Preparatory work such as you describe is compensable. So, if you must start working some minutes ahead of your stated start time so that you can be ready to take a call right at that time, then you must be paid for that time.
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.24.htm

You can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for unpaid wages/overtime.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X