This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounced Paychecks Illinois

What is the law on bounced paychecks in IL.
    My employer has bounced at least 5x this year.
    We get paid on Friday, I find out about the bounce on Thursday of the next week. I get a replacement check then on two occasions, when I deposited a replacement check, there was a 3-business day hold on the checks. One time I was lucky to talk the branch manager into removing the hold.
    Anyway, CA has a law that say the employer should pay a state penalty plus an extra day of wages for each and every day you remain unpaid. I hope IL has this law too. He owes me more money. He also told us that there are more important things he needs to pay like his IRS taxes and penalties (both business and personal) that take priority over paychecks. What do you think?

To the best of my knowledge, IL does not have the law you decribe. In fact, I could be wrong but I think CA is the only state that does have it.

However, I think that the next time your paycheck bounces, you should report him to the state DOL. They WILL come after him to make it good and again I'm not sure but I think IL will require him to pay a fine (though it will be to the state, not to you, sorry!).
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X