This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I owed ovetime pay

I was recently hired and told I would only work late when the phones are busy. Two days later they sent home all the hourly girls and said I had to stay because Im salary. I am not a manager or anthing of that caliber, i answer phones and do data entry. I work as a dispatcher in a heating company. Last week I was made to work 67 hours while the hourly employees were sent home because we are slow. I feel Im being taken advantage of and need to know if it is legal for them to make me work these hours and not pay me overtime. From what I have found on the Illinois Labor Law site I believe I am owed overtime pay for the hours iver 40 I have put in. Am I correct? Am I owed overtime? Please help

As long as you are a nonexempt employee, you must be paid overtime for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek, regardless of whether you are salaried or hourly, as those are merely pay methods. You can file a claim for unpaid overtime with the state Dept. of Labor. However, the decision to "make" you work the overtime instead of someone else is the company's decision only; it is not regulated by law.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X