This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lunch breaks

Hello, I am a Il. manager of a retail coffee shop and we got NO breaks. I am diabetic and I have an insulin pump and sometimes, i will test my blood and pump insulin into my body and then I cannot eat, and have low blood sugar. I usually work 8-10 hours a day, somtimes even 12. I asked my dm one and she said we do not have time for breaks! So, I do not think they are making special accomdations for me. Also, we are recently on the stock market as well. Do I do something? J
    Last edited by janel322`c; 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM.

In Illinois, if you work 7.5 hours a day or more your employer must give you a 20 minute meal break under the law. If they are not doing so, you can complain to the state DOL.

If you need additional breaks to check your blood sugar you will need to request those as an accomodation under the ADA. They do not have to make special accomodations for you unless it is clear that you are asking as an ADA accomodation; just knowing that you are diabetic is NOT sufficient for them to be required to offer you an accomodation. In fact, I've heard a very convincing case made that it is discriminatory to offer an accomodation unless it is asked for ("how dare they assume I can't do my job without help").

If they STILL won't accomodate you, then you can complain with the EEOC.

Note that the two different breaks are regulated by two different agencies.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X