X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Holiday

Does anyone know if this is legal?

My employer has many restrictions in the employee handbook, but the newest change is this. My employer is now requiring us to work on holidays. Most every business in this area is closed on holidays, along with 99% of our suppliers. This means No x-mas, No July 4, No Memorial Day for many of us.

I know that they are not required to pay for our time, but is it legal to require us to work legal holidays?

Yes, it is.

As has been explained MANY times on these boards, if you work in the private sector there are NO holidays that your employer is required by law to give you. Federal holidays only count if you are a Federal employee; likewise state holidays only count if you are a state employees. If you work in the private sector, you have no legal expectation of ever having any holiday off.

Please consider; airlines; hotels; hospitals; police, fire and other emergency services; restaurants; some retail stores; do you really want a law that would require them all to be closed on every holiday?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X