X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday time off

Does anyone know if this is legal?
    My co. supplies a handbook of its company rules. We get xmas eve, xmas day and new years off. We're salary in my office. We have to sign and return the front page of our handbook stating we read it and understand. We get a certain amount of paid holiday time. xmas eve, xmas & new years being included as paid days off in the employee handbook. This year because those fall on weekends we are not getting paid for the time and they are not giving us days to replace. Like alot of companies are giving people the 26th off or friday the 23rd and Monday January 2nd. We get none of those.
    Is this legal?
    Since it says in the book "paid holidays" and lists them.

Yes, it's legal. Employers are not required to give any paid holidays at all, so they are not required to make up for holidays that fall on weekends. I agree that it could be a morale boost to employees to do so, but they don't have to.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, it is legal. Unless the handbook reaches the level of a contract (which is unlikely) AND guarantees that you will have no less than x number of paid holidays, they have no legal obligation to give you an additional day off when the holiday falls on the weekend. (They have no legal obligation to give you any holidays off at all, for that matter.) I understand that many employers are giving either the Friday or the Monday off but it is not required by law.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X