This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois - Change in work hours

My wife recently changed positions within her company. When brought into this new position, the company as well as her new boss knew that she required going home at 3:00 every day due to child care issues. They were both OK with this. She has actually worked until 3:00 almost her entire six plus years at the company. Recently her new boss informed her that they have changed the position requirements and she must work until 5:30 or resign. My wife cannot work until 5:30 nor does she want to resign. What are her options? Will she be eligible for unemployment benefits if she is forced to resign?

Her options are to work until 5:30 or to resign. The fact that they have allowed her to leave at 3:00 for the last 6 years does not obligate them to allow it forever. They are not obligated by law to accomodate her child care needs.

I honestly don't know if your state would consider this a good reason to quit and still receive unemployment benefits. Mine wouldn't. But it can't hurt to ask them.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X