X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Denial of Unemployment

Short question:
    I turn down a promotion and afterwards am told I have to take the promotion to keep my job, then after that I'm told I can keep my job, then after that I'm told they've changed their mind. Now the company has told unemployment I left voluntarily. Is this right?

Long explanation:

While working a job I told my employer I was interested in a leadership position they would be posting soon. I was told they would put together a job description and pay scale separate from me and then I could apply internally.

My boss then came to me to offer me the position. It was my exact job descrip with the new roles added and a VERY small raise. I said I had no idea the raise would be so small for so much more work and wondered what would happen if I turned it down. He said he wanted me to take it but if I turned it down I'd continue to work and they'd go another route.

I turned it down and was told there was not headcount to fill the position so it would not be filled. A few weeks later I was called in and told they always intended to fill the position and if they filled it outside the company they would have too many employees and would have to let me go. Or I could take the position. I said it still wasn't enough money.

A few weeks later I was called in and told they filled the position but were very impressed with the work I was doing. They said they wanted to keep me on so they were going to ask the company for additional headcount but wanted to be sure I wanted it. I said sure I would want it but as an FYI I would probably look for work outside the company as my options were limited.

That afternoon they came and said they decided to make that day my last day and that I needed to clear out.

I filed for unemployment and have been told my job said I left voluntarily.

Is this right?

You can appeal the decision if you want. Was there a hearing with an administrative judge the first time? If not, it can't hurt to appeal so you can give your side of the story. If, however, you already gave it and were denied, and have no other facts to add, I would not be optimistic.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd
      You can appeal the decision if you want. Was there a hearing with an administrative judge the first time? If not, it can't hurt to appeal so you can give your side of the story. If, however, you already gave it and were denied, and have no other facts to add, I would not be optimistic.
      No, the appeal phone call is later this month. I thought I'd post here to find out (speculatively of course) where I stood.

Thanks,

Bob

Comment

Being told that your options are either to accept the position or they will no longer have a job for you can be construed as a voluntary quit if you decline the position. What remains to be seen is whether the UC office agrees with that categorization.

Comment

Working...
        X