Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start times pushed back - Is it legal in Illinois ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start times pushed back - Is it legal in Illinois ?

How much time do we need to notify an employee of his start time being pushed back 2-4 hours ? There is a weekly schedule posted w/ changes from week to week. But if there is no work for them at there schedule start time the next day we push it back anywhere from 2-4 hours. We do let them know the night before. Are we breaking any state laws ?

What you are really asking is whether IL has a report pay law (i.e. employees must be notified by X amount of time prior to their shift if work is not available or employees are entitled to a certain number of hours of pay.) A search of IL's DOL website did not suggest they have such a law but you can take a look around if you like: http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/index.htm (look under FAQ's for IL's wage and hour laws) or you can give them a call to be certain.

As far as I know, California is the only State with a report pay law.

Comment

Massachusetts and New Hampshire also have reporting pay laws but as far as I know those three are it.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X