No announcement yet.

frustrated in Illinois

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • frustrated in Illinois

    Hi all!

    Does anyone know anything about child abuse laws? My son is being abused by his stepmother and even though it's been reported to DCFS now four times, they are interviewing my son, who is seven, in front of stepmom and his story changes from what he told police, teachers, me, etc. I know it's actually happening because I have seen marks and have taken pictures of the bruises, even though it may be fading from the amount of time between hits and seeing me. Right now he is living primarily with his dad, we have joint custody. Dad knows the abuse is happening, he and I discussed it but isn't doing anything about it.

    I am getting really irritated with the entire situation because no on is listening to my son or to me. They think that I am just making things up because I no longer have sole custody of him. That isn't true and I want to make sure he is safe. Dad isn't a problem. I want him to have a close relationship with our child. I have two other children and I get along with their fathers perfectly. Has anyone had to go through something similar? Any advice?

    Thanks in advance...

  • #2
    Unfortunately, DCFS can only investigate the allegation and speak to the members of the household. Unless someone has actually witnessed the abuse, they'll have a difficult time proving it.

    Unless you can prove that the bruises you photographed are the direct result of abuse (have a doctor examine the child and be called as a witness) your son's father and stepmother can claim the bruises were the result of some other accident.

    I state this only from past experience and am in no way an expert on the subject. My spouse has accused me of abusing my children and has taken pictures of bruises she alleges I caused. As a child who often was abused and bruised by my mother, I'm all too familiar with how bruises develop.


    • #3
      If you are htat concerned, seek primary physical custody of your child. THere is enough to support seeking modification.