This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Call Pay

I live in Illinois. I currently have a part time cleaning job and I have an issure with their scheduling. My employer schedules a regular crew every night along with one additional "on call person" He/she is expected to be ready to work, uniform and all, until everyone reports in for their shift. If someone is a no show, the "on call person" must come in for work. The "on call person" however, is not given any compensation before being called in or after beyond the regular pay. I have many issues with this practice besides the pay. A lot of people tend to call in when their is someone on call b/c of the fall back plan of scheduling an "on call person". Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Brett

Unless your movements are "unduly restricted" by the call-in requirements (which happens rarely in these days of cell phones and pagers) they are not required to compensate you for any on-call time if you do not work. After you are called in you are only entitled to your regular pay unless you work enough hours to qualify for overtime. Premium pay is not required.

We cannot determine here whether or not your movements are unduly restricted under your state law. That's not something that a message board can establish. You can ask that question of your state DOL.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X