This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois question regarding name on birth certificate

I have asked a few questions as of late but have a new one. Found out by the way via a lawyer that filing for guardianship is just as expensive. The family has a question. If they are planning on us adopting the baby and she doesn't know who the father is can she put my husband down as the baby's father? Would this open us up to problems with DA with them thinking that he is the baby's REAL father? don't want my husband to go to jail for statutory rape when he didn't do it.

Originally posted by cicy33
    I have asked a few questions as of late but have a new one. Found out by the way via a lawyer that filing for guardianship is just as expensive. The family has a question. If they are planning on us adopting the baby and she doesn't know who the father is can she put my husband down as the baby's father? Would this open us up to problems with DA with them thinking that he is the baby's REAL father? don't want my husband to go to jail for statutory rape when he didn't do it.
    If he is not the biological father, do not claim that he is.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

We are not claiming that he is the bioligical father. We intend anyway to adopt the baby. My question is are there legal problems associated with it. She doesn't know who the father is.

Comment

Originally posted by cicy33
        We are not claiming that he is the bioligical father. We intend anyway to adopt the baby. My question is are there legal problems associated with it. She doesn't know who the father is.
        In order to adopt the child, the mother must give up her parental rights in court. Also, she will have to convince the judge that she really does not know who the father is. She may have to tell the court who the father "might" be, if she has some idea who the father "might" be.
        In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

If the father is not known, they will put "unknown" on the birth certificate. Do not have your husband listed as the father as there is not just liability for statutory rape possibly, but then if the girl has received state resources, he could be ordered to pay them. Well, I am not surprised that a guardianship costs about the same as a petition for adoption. Maybe if you do not have much money, you should go to Legal Services or Legal Aid to get assistance. The charge there should be free or minimal. You could also obtain forms and file the papers yourself in court. The petition that you file just needs to conform to the requirements of state law. ---When you go to court, make sure that you and your husband come along with the mother of the child to be questioned by the judge. ---There is a way and a legal process that you follow where a father's child is unknown. That will be dictated by state law. Typically, if it is known that the father may be in a certain community but no name is known, an advertisement in the local community's paper for a period of time dictated by statute is sufficient to make a showing that reasonable efforts were made to contact the child's father. But each state has their own law on this matter.

Comment

Working...
          X