This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardianship versus Adoption Illinois

Hi, due to the costs that I have learned of in regards to adoption for a little while we could not afford those. So, we have talked and agreed to become guardianship of the baby until the adoption is filed. What are the rules? Is guardianship easier? No home study for now? Illinois state.

In order to adopt a child, the parents must be willing to give up their parental rights or the court must take those rights away.

It is easier to be named the guardian of a child. However, the parents will still have rights.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

Are there any particular rules that I must follow? Is this a simple procedure drawn up by a lawyer?

Comment

Originally posted by cicy33
        Are there any particular rules that I must follow? Is this a simple procedure drawn up by a lawyer?
        In order to become a legal guardian, you must petition the court. It is a good idea to consult with a lawyer who knows family law.
        In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

You still have to petition the court

To be a legal guardian, you will still have to petition the court. Again, you will have to file the papers in the proper county court. However, if the plan is to adopt, this is a good way to explore if you really want to adopt, and easier to change the situation if the child's mother decides that she is older and more mature and ready to be a mother.

Comment

Working...
          X