No announcement yet.

Required Time / Rest In between Shifts Illinois

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required Time / Rest In between Shifts Illinois

I work part-time 5 days a week. On one particular night i work from 4:15pm-7:15pm then again at 8:30pm-12:30am. I take public transportation so it takes me about 2hrs to get home, due to late night operating schedule. So i get home around 2:30am-3:00am. Im required to work the next morning at 8:45am for a 4hr shift, so i have to wake up around 6:00am (3hrs of sleep). Do I have the right to ask for a schedule change?

Do I have the right to ask for a schedule change? Of course you may ask for a schedule change. If you're asking whether you have a legal right to demand a schedule change, the answer is no.

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I will have to tough it out. I appreciate your help.

I'm not certain if there is a requirement that there be a break in service between shifts, but in the cases where that is true (typically in safety sensitive jobs) what matters isn't the time you get home or need to allow for commuting but the time between when you get off work and are scheduled to report. Employers have no control over where an employee chooses to live or by what method they opt to get to work, nor how long it takes them to conduct their personal business and grooming.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Right, I understand. I was just providing as much information as I could for my situation to get the best answer and hoping for a slight chance that there was some clause that would help me out. As for the safety issue, i dont operate machinery but i do work in the vicinity of them as I work at the airport but I should be able to use common sense to avoid any danger even if im only on a few hours of sleep. Thanks for your answer too.