This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a wrongful termination situation like I see it..? Illinois

I worked for my company for 9 years and was a manager for the last 5 of them. I was in good standing, not been disciplined, good attendance and just had an interview for a promotion. I believe my immediate supervisor has a grudge because of asking to be scheduled around my church services and when he made a big deal I called his boss. He was mad that I called his boss and expressed that to me. This was in August. I was terminated last month for what they worded as "integrity" because I violated a policy regarding associate evaluations. I did not realize I was in violation of this policy, I had not read the policy since my training 5 years ago and did not realize what I had done was wrong. After my boss questioned me about it and I explained that to him it took 2 weeks for them to say anything else about it. After the 2 weeks he called me into his office and said he had no choice but to terminate me. The company has a disciplinary process that it is supposed to follow and they did not follow it with me, but said that the nature of what I had done did not require it. Even though I had not realized what I did was wrong and it was a matter of at what step I entered information into the computer. It wasn't anything dishonest or regarding money or anything serious like that, it was a mistake. I Almost forgot, I was injured detaining a shoplifter in November so I had to file a workers comp case and my former boss is very outspoken about the fact that no matter the situation, he feels that people should be disciplined if they have an accident at work because it's irresponsible. I just think he looked for something to file against me and somehow he was able to fire me for it. Does that sound reasonable?
    Last edited by PLD24; 03-11-2010, 12:48 AM.

Was your termination "reasonable"? That's a matter of opinion. Was it "wrongful" under the law? It's a stretch.

But "integrity" is subjective. The main issue I might see is the statement your boss made about employees being "disciplined" because they filed a Worker's Comp claim. You might want to consult a local employment law attorney regarding that. Not guaranteeing my any stretch of the imagination, but it does sound a bit fishy.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree, that's my take on it also, Patty.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by PLD24 View Post
        I did not realize I was in violation of this policy, I had not read the policy since my training 5 years ago and did not realize what I had done was wrong.
        Ignorance of the law, or in this case company policy, is not a valid reason for not following it.
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Working...
        X