This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair treatment, not sexual, what do I do Illinois Illinois

I need help. My workplace - a small business - has become unbearable. I am a qualified female office manager, do the bookkeeping, manage accounts, etc., but it began way back in April when my then-friend, and "Catering Director" began saying to me while he was drunk, things like, "I will make your life so miserable that you will quit." I stayed away from him, because of his abuse, which got worse - the threats, the intimidations - he even burned my flannel in a work grill, in front of all the employees some of which filmed it on their camera phones - because he hated it. He made work personal, and I did not want to walk that road. The "Catering Director" has since threatened me at work (witnesses were present), but the worst was outside of work, when again he was drunk, chased me out of our local bar when I was pretty sober, grabbed my arms, bruised me, and said I was fired, literally because I didn't agree with him that he was "always right." I called the president to discuss, due to the gravity of the situation, and no response was provided until the next work day, wherein I showed up anyway.

Back in April, I asked for more responsibilities at work because I wanted motivation to HELP get me there on time. Yes, I have usually been late. I wanted to be more challenged; it would help motivate me. Instead of that, I was reduced to part-time on the "Catering Director's" whim to the president (who happens to be his gay lover), on the basis that I was often late for the past two years. I've been there 3 years to this month, and they had counted up my hours of 2007, and said 32 hours was all I'd really worked per week on average, but which also included mandatory unpaid holidays and 2 weeks vacation time - UNFAIR! Yes, I have been late. Yes, I have often been late on other jobs. Yes, the "Catering Director" is late too, and are so many others, but only I am held "accountable." I have evidence that others are late as well, and are not punished. In fact, the "Catering Director" is never late, because he never writes down the time he is coming in; he either leaves it blank, or writes in "mtng." The only time there IS a time posted, is when there is an event taking place.

The president, today, told me that I had to work this Saturday and take another day off during the week. I said, "If it won't be a fifth day, like I was originally hired to do, I cannot rearrange my schedule to accomodate. I will work with you, if you will work with me." The answer was, "I expect you to work Saturdays like everyone else." I wanted to say, "Then treat everyone else the same as me, and penalize them for tardiness," (which is essentially a non-issue for me, NOW, because I've been timely) but I was too upset. Not everyone else is penalized for being late, and I can't afford this 4 day work week. I'm not asking for overtime. I've improved my timeliness by a great degree, and deserve full-time work. I said, "I need five days," and the response was, "then find a five-day job." I wanted to quit on the spot. I'm sure they won't realize how much I do for them until I am gone.

The ex-friend "Catering Director" has done what he has promised. My life IS so miserable I want to quit. He has taken his personal issues and personal partner-power, into the work place. He has abused me in front of other staff members, only physically when it was outside of work, but emotionally at and outside work, a bully. A co-worker even stated that "He (the Catering Director) made you his whipping post." What are my grounds? Do I have a leg to stand on? Yes, I've been applying for other jobs for several weeks now, but nothing new yet. If I quit, can I get unemployment security while I find something else due to a hostile work environment? I have pictures of the bruises, copies of schedules, and others' late time cards; I needed to get out 6 months ago but hoped things would get better & they got worse. Please, please help if you can. Thank you.

Sorry but what happened when you were out at a bar after hours and drinking doesn't obligate your employer to take action at work. That would be a matter for the police, not your boss. If this person is unbearable when drunk, don't go out drinking with them.

Your employer doesn't owe you 5 day work weeks. Showing up on time for events is the bare minimum requirement, particularly in your field. You don't get brownie points for doing so. If they need you to work Saturday, you work Saturday. If you aren't permitted to work more than 4 days a week, you only work 4 days a week. It means absolutely zilch that others have been late. You working Saturday has absolutely nothing to do with someone else having been late on some other day in the past.

I strongly suggest getting there on time, all the time. Forget about what others are doing and worry about yourself. If you want to work FT, then find a FT job. Honestly, an employee who is regularly late and complains about working a day everyone else is required to work and seems more concerned with what everyone else is doing, isn't someone I'd be looking to give additional hours to either.

You can't make someone like you. It also isn't illegal to dislike someone.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Tardiness does not give the right to create a hostile work environment

The fact that I'm being held to a different standard than everyone else is what bothers me. Treat me the SAME. Why should I be "singled out" and that is okay?! I've been on time all the time, FACT. If they wanted to punish me for tardiness they should have done it WHEN it WAS happening, not when it's not. I wouldn't care what they were doing if they weren't so busy themselves, scrutinizing and disrespecting me.

The Catering Director talks about me behind my back, makes jokes about me to fellow co-workers, insults me, takes out his anger on me, threatens me with sending me home when HE's the one being obnoxious... and it's not getting any better. The owner SHOULD do something about this, aside from just "have a talk." At minimum, he should be written-up for displays of abusive behavior. The kitchen guys are taking bets on when the Catering Director is actually going to hit me. The Catering Director even calls the OWNER "*******" right to his face. Like the Owner is going to protect me.

I have contacted a few lawyers to see what my grounds are - if any. I am looking for FT work, but it's not like it happens overnight. The current environmenet is hostile and it is VERY stressful to walk into work EACH & EVERY DAY not knowing if he's going to blow his gasket out at you for no wrongdoing, other than the fact that he's pissed and wants to take it out on someone else. UNFAIR TREATMENT.

PS - On principle, I am not working this Saturday. Just like everyone else, I have the right to say I'm not available on a particular day. I'll be working tomorrow instead.

Comment

It is perfectly legal to treat different employees differently.

Even if the only difference between you is that your boss doesn't like you.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

No one said it was ok, only that it wasn't illegal. No law makes employers treat everyone the same. They are allowed to just not like someone. Its not fair but it happens and you can't sue or force them to like you.

While you have the right to refuse to work a particular day, your employer also has the right to fire you or hold it against you.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

your all loosing your minds

first of all, yes, an employer doesn't have to treat all the employees the same, but he does HAVE to treat them all fairly. If someone is repeatedly late, they should be discipline, NO MATTER WHO IT IS. If more than one person is repeatedly late, they ALL need to be disciplined, not just one person, that is treating an employee unfairly!
            Second...if you made it clear in the beginning of being hired that you could only work certain days, and you've been scheduled for those days, when they ask you to work a day you are NOT scheduled for, they cannot fire you. Not saying they won't but if they do, you have a small fight on your hands..i've won that argument quite a few times with past bosses..as well as the first matter! so i know this for a fact.
            Even though the harrasment you are dealing with is not sexual, it is still harassment. Keep it up with your lawyers, and i would go about calling the labor board or the better business beaureu(i know that spelled wrong) and let this creep know you mean business, maybe things will turn out for the better, you definately have something

Comment

stablegirl3102, please do not reply to old threads - thanks. (& the answers given by the responders previously are correct)
              Last edited by Betty3; 04-09-2010, 08:05 PM.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And, for the record, stablegirl's opinion on how employees should be treated is not borne out by the way the law is written.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg, your reply wasn't there yet when I "started" editing my post to add add'l. info & close post.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                  X