This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Unionized setting with established sick pay plan. I received notice that all
    future requests for sick pay will require MD statement for the nex six months. I have used 9 of 12 days provided/year, since August 2007 - March 2008, sick time accrues at 3 hrs/biweekly and I have 67 hours in the sick bank. Union contract allows managers to request proof if use is excessive or a pattern of mis-use is suspected. Union contract and university policy make no references to what constitutes excessive or what an established pattern consists of. I was told that managers use an undocumented, arbitrary number of >7 call ins/year and that call ins on Friday or Monday constitute a pattern that indicates possible abuse ( I work Monday-Friday, 8 hours,exempt, civil service status) Discussed with union rep, who agrees that the parameters are undocumented, is this legal? 5 of the 9 days occurred over 2 months at the height of the flu season, the other 4 sick call occurred
    every other month.

It would have been better if you had started your own thread, because once you throw a union contract into the mix, most bets are off. However, this is going to be decided solely by the union contract. Again, there are no laws against any of the new policies you cite.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It's in its own thread now.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X