This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay cut without notice? Illinois

Ok, here's my problem! I work part time at a restaurant. I left on maternity leave in the beginning of October, i was then making $7.50 per hour, which is minimum wage. When I returned to work, I had a discussion with my general manager about my pay and how I would like a raise. I asked for $9 per hour. He then said he couldn't raise it that much, but agreed to $8.75. I accepted even though I thought I deserved more. When I received my most recent pay check, though, my wage said I was making only $8.50. Now, I have been making $8.75 since I returned in November. I was not notified of this pay cut or given a reason. Is this legal? I have been working at this location for over 2 years. I know it's only a quarter difference, but when you're a single mom working a low paying job, a quarter makes a BIG difference!

I'm just wondering if the actions made by my employer are legal or not. Please help!?
    Last edited by alexis_mommy; 03-31-2008, 05:55 AM.

First of all, I recommend you edit your post to remove the name of the company. We had a poster here that was fired (legally) for posting the name of his employer here and we wouldn't want that to happen to you.

Contact the state Dept. of Labor and inquire as Illinois law prohibits retroactive pay decreases. Did the person tell you it was a "mistake" since November? Is it possible that the person who told you $8.75 was not authorized to make such a decision?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

pay cut without notice

The person who agreed to the $8.75 is the general manager of the store. He's in charge of the whole store and what goes on in it. So yes, he was authorized. So is it legal for him to just cut my pay without notice? It couldnt have been a mistake because the other managers I asked about it said that a raise or cut has to be manually entered into the computer.

Comment

OK, that answers my questions; I was just looking to see if there might have been a valid reason you didn't know about. But I think I already said that Illinois law prohibits retroactive pay decreases and to contact the state DOL. Have you asked the GM about the discrepancy? What does he say?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

pay cut without notice

I haven't had a chance to talk to him. I feel he is avoiding me. I worked with him the day after I received the paycheck and told him I needed to talk to him when he got a chance. When business slowed down I went to find him and was told that he had already left. I then called him at work the other day and was told he was busy. I left a message asking him to please call me back, but received no phone call. I work with him again today and plan to talk to him then. I just wanted to figure out if what he did was legal. Do you by chance know of where I can find proof of it being illegal?

Comment

As a matter of fact, I can. Scroll about a third of the way down the page.
            http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qawage.htm

Comment

pay cut without notice

Thanks so much. I'm going to try to figure out what this legal wording all means and hopefully present it to my employer.

Comment

It means that they can't decrease your pay rate after the hours have been worked. They can ONLY decrease it before the hours are worked at the lower rate, even if that's only one minute before.

Comment

Working...
                X