This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father on certificate Illinois

Hi, I told my friend about this site but she doesn't have the internet..so I wanted to ask a question for her. The father on her daughter's birth certificate is not the biological one....he was very abusive....he has popped up out of the blue and wants to be the legal father. If the name on the certificate has been on there for a year can the biological father get it changed? Thanks for your help in advance.

well...........

i am not sure but here in tx my husband got a paternity test done on his daughter and when he went to court to get custody of her (and we won) they changed her last name..........because the person that was one there was excuded to be the father.........so now all he has to do is file for an admendment on the birth certificate to get his name to be put on there as being her father.........but it may be different for her

Comment

Changing the name on the birth certificate

Originally posted by Mommy2Mikayla
      Hi, I told my friend about this site but she doesn't have the internet..so I wanted to ask a question for her. The father on her daughter's birth certificate is not the biological one....he was very abusive....he has popped up out of the blue and wants to be the legal father. If the name on the certificate has been on there for a year can the biological father get it changed? Thanks for your help in advance.
      If the mother wants to change the name of the father on the birth certificate she can petition the courts for a hearing and ask them to have DNA testing done to establish paternity. Is/Was she married to the man whose name appears on the birth certificate? Did the father whose name appears on the birth certificate sign acknowledgement of paternity?
      How old is the child? It is always best to try to establish parentage when the child is young. A child does not need the drama. I believe the courts would listen as they try to rule in the best interest of the child.
      If I understand your post, she did not put the bio-father on the birth certificate originally because he was abusive to her and now he has come around and wants to establish paternity with the child? Is he willing to support the child? Be there for the child? What does the father that is on the birth certificate say about all this? Is he a good father? Does he love the child?
      The "real father" could always contact CSE and fill out an application to establish paternity. I don't know that he would be heard and CSE act upon it since there is already a father on the birth certificate but I would think that he could challenge it. I am not saying what is best for this situation because I truely don't know. And I am not 100% sure on how Child Support or the courts would handle this situation. I am just making suggestions to give her more options. It is important that she thinks about all the ramifications of this and knows her choices so she can make the correct decisions.
      He can also go to the Illinois site for CSE and down load an application for services (refer to first email). On the application it gives you the option of checking an appropriate box for the service that you are requesting. (see below - he would select #4) application can be found at http://www.ilchildsupport.com/assets...4_hfs1283c.pdf
      For assistance in completing this form, call 1-800-447-4278.
      ON THE APPLICATION LOOK FOR THE PARAGRAPH:
      To assist in providing you with Illinois child support enforcement services, we ask that you provide us with as much information as possible regarding the parents of the child. The information about the parents of the child is required to establish paternity, child and medical support, to enforce or to modify an existing order.
      Please check the appropriate box:
      I am a custodial parent or caretaker relative. I want paternity and/or child and medical support established, enforced, and/or modified for the child(ren).
      I am a custodial parent or caretaker relative. I want paternity and/or child support established, enforced or modified for the child(ren).
      I am a custodial parent or caretaker relative. I want location services on the non-custodial parent ONLY. I am not interested in any other services.
      I am a non-custodial parent or alleged father. I want paternity and/or child and medical support established, enforced, and/or modified for the child(ren).
      Again that website is http://www.ilchildsupport.com/assets...4_hfs1283c.pdf Once you mail this application CSE has 20 days to open a case.
      The best of luck to all in this situation.
      Dawn-IL Child Support Advocate
      Child Support in Illinois - Owner/Senior Moderator
      www.childsupportinillinois.com
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChildSupportinIllinois/
      Those that have the ability to take action, have the responsibility to take action!

Comment

Working...
      X