This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor laws

I am currently a shift superviosr at a fast food resturant in Illinios. B/c of the nature of the work, I work alongside mostly Hispanics. I recently did orientation for a new employee who is only 15 years old and has to drop out of high school and work full-time b/c he got his girlfriend pregnant. Is this legal for him to do and is it legal for my place of work to hire him as a full time worker who's not returning to high school?

I have no information as to whether it is legal for a 15 year old in your state to drop out of school - that question would be better answered on the family law boards.

According to the information I have, a minor under the age of 16 in your state can work between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm (till 9 pm from June 1 through Labor Day); may work a maximum of 8 hours a day/6 days a week/ 48 hours per week (3 hours but not more than 8 hours combined work and school time per day/24 hours per week during school year) and you must give him a 30 minute unpaid break every 5 hours.

Whether or not this applies when he is no longer enrolled in school is a question you will probably have to take up with the state department of labor.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X