This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho cell phone usage

If we have an employee that uses their personal cell phone for work, and we compensate them a certain percentage for their use, am I allowed to ask for a detailed list of their calls. Would I be infringing on any privacy acts or policies?

Q: If we have an employee that uses their personal cell phone for work, and we compensate them a certain percentage for their use, am I allowed to ask for a detailed list of their calls. Would I be infringing on any privacy acts or policies?

A: It makes no difference. If the employee agrees to it, then the employee can waive his rights to privacy. If the employee does not agree to it, then you don't have to compensate them.
    “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes, you are certainly allowed to do so, which actually is a good idea, because it complies with proving the business reason for the reimbursement as required by IRS requirements for an "accountable plan".

If the employee is that concerned about you having the numbers of his personal calls, he can always take a copy of the bill, black out the personal calls with a marker, and take another copy. The numbers won't show through.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Any place I could go to to find this in writing? I would like to incorporate it in our policy manual for next year!

Comment

What in writing?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You answered my question in your previous reply. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by twinmgr View Post
              You answered my question in your previous reply. Thanks!
              If you put it in your manual, it will be in writing.
              “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X