This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Training without pay? Idaho

I am a mental health worker and recently my boss mandated that we receive cpr/first aid training. He paid half of the cost and required us to pay the other half. He stated that he will not pay the employees for the time we spent (3 hours) receiving the training at the office where we work. I am wondering if he is within his legal limits to withhold paying us for our time spent training?

This is probably time that needs to be paid. I have a webpointer to the federal regulation below. The one obvious exception I can think of is that if this is an externally mandated requirement, say you are state liscenced and the state requires this.

The cost of the training is another matter. Too my knowledge, CA is the only state which would require the employer to pay the cost.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/T...29CFR785.27.htm
    Last edited by DAW; 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Colorado requires it as well:

Attendance at Training, Lectures, Meetings, Seminars, and Educational Programs
      All such employee activities are treated as compensable unless
      all of the following four
      conditions are met:
      1. Attendance is outside of the employee’s regular working hours.
      2. Attendance is in fact voluntary.
      3. The course, lecture, meeting, or activity is not directly related to the employee’s job.

4. The employee does not perform any productive work during such attendance.
      Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by mlane58 View Post
        Colorado requires it as well:

Attendance at Training, Lectures, Meetings, Seminars, and Educational Programs
        All such employee activities are treated as compensable unless
        all of the following four
        conditions are met:
        1. Attendance is outside of the employee’s regular working hours.
        2. Attendance is in fact voluntary.
        3. The course, lecture, meeting, or activity is not directly related to the employee’s job.

4. The employee does not perform any productive work during such attendance.
        That's basically the FLSA regulation as well.

Having said all this, though, OP, are you exempt or nonexempt? "Mental health worker" doesn't tell us much.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X