This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --lein laws for construction on home

I live in california and was sent to hawaii to build a house for my boss who also lives in calif. in the past he paid for travel food material and hourly wages. except for the last trip he refuses to pay for material I bought on my credit card and for any hours worked he doesn't like the stucco job. he is the owner builder in the eyes of hawaii and I was just doing what he asked me to do on the house while there in hawaii. never thought He would stiff me for over $15.000.00 what rights do I have for a lein on home and what state do I file it in? house is in Hawaii but he pays me in California.

No, you don't place a lien on the house. You call the state department of labor in the state where you were working and you file a complaint for unpaid wages.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg thanks for the reply I thought all construction tradesman unpaid on a job had to put a lein against the house to collect unpaid wages and materials supplied on the job.

Comment

One clarification needed. Was this part of your employment duties, or where you working as an independent contractor for your boss directly?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I thought all construction tradesman unpaid on a job had to put a lein against the house to collect unpaid wages and materials supplied on the job.

You're on an employment law forum, and the answer I gave you is the correct answer under employment law. If you are a contractor as opposed to an employee, which was not clear in your initial post, different laws apply.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

no not a contractor just employed to build a house for someone ive done handy man work for in the past. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd
              One clarification needed. Was this part of your employment duties, or where you working as an independent contractor for your boss directly?
              Its really hard to say I was working hourly. But all expenses were paid while I was building the house I supplied some of the material when needed and reimbursed for it on my paychecks. I built the house by myself from frame to finish. So I don't know what You would classify me as, I was just doing a job that I was Hired to do.

Comment

Working...
              X