This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over payment Hawaii

I hope someone can help me. I worked for the state of Hawaii over 11yrs ago, and I just received a letter that said I owe them 3500.00 for over payment. I don't see how that happened and is there a statute of limitations on that?

11 years? That's nuts. Why do they say so? Care to provide any details?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

over payment

I don't have much details. I just got a letter stating that I owe 3,469.41 for over payment. It came from the attorney Generals office and If I don't send them the full amount I will have to pay interest on it. It was dated sept 06 so this is new. I don't have any paper work dated that far back. Is there a statute of limitations or can the attorney general make or change their own laws? I wish I had more info but I don't, the letter didn't give me much info. I did work for the state and a lot of overtime but I don't recall ever thinking my paycheck was more than it should of been. So I don't even know the time period they are talking about.

Comment

I recommend you see an attorney. At the very least, you are entitled to some type of explanation as to how they came to this amount and what the overpayment was for.

Honestly, if this were my payroll department, I'd be embarrassed to admit that we overpaid an employee by $3,500 and didn't find it for 11 years. Sheesh.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't think the state would ever be embarrased. I think they will look for ways to find money to collect. I have a feeling this is going to cost me quite a bit before this is all over. I don't have that kind of money to pay back. What would make them go that far back in the first place?

Comment

The only thing I can think of is some type of audit from another agency to which they billed your time. Looks like you'll never know WHY, though.

Comment

Working...
            X