Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hired as full-time, the past 4 weeks i've been scheduled to work 12-14 hours per

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired as full-time, the past 4 weeks i've been scheduled to work 12-14 hours per

I was hired in 2008 as full-time receiving 40+ hours per week, which is divided between two stores to prevent over-time, as of mid August my hours have been reduced sharply to 12-14 hours a week. Reading through the labor laws of Ga. I can find no reference to full-time work being guaranteed a set amount of hours per week. My question: is my employer 'legally' required to schedule my working hours to that of a full-time employee being that I was hired on as such? If not, what course am I able to persue, given state law?

Unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary, your employer
    can change your hours at any time. You can try applying for partial unemployment
    ins. due to the reduction in hours.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Reading through the labor laws of Ga. I can find no reference to full-time work being guaranteed a set amount of hours per week.

That's because there is no such law. In any state.

is my employer 'legally' required to schedule my working hours to that of a full-time employee being that I was hired on as such?

No.

If not, what course am I able to persue, given state law?

The only thing I can think of is find another part time job. There is no law you can invoke that will force him to schedule you for more hours. "Full time" and "part time" have no legal significance in most state.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OP, do both of these stores have the same owners?

If so, you are probably qualified for overtime. See links below.

http://www.payroll-taxes.com/article...-employers.htm

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs23.pdf

Comment

I would still put in a claim for partial UI benefits at this time even if you are going
          to look for another part-time job.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X