This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• georgia sexual harassment Georgia

I am an employee of a large hardware store with 80+ employees. In 01/09 I has approached my my direct manger with inappropiate touching (outside of work) few weeks later it turned in sexual acts that i felt had to be done in order to kepp my job that continued for a few months . i became pregnant in april i told my manager who was involved with it at the time.. he told me i had to get an abortion.. i was scheduled to work on the day of the abortion, he changed the schedule for me to be off. he physically took me down to the clinic, paid for it, and waited for me to finish, took me home. i was approached by him a few weeks later and was involved in more sexual acts. i continued to work with him for a few months... other managers came to me when it started to get around work.. i was pulled into office and sat down with other managers on three different occasions.. i denied all accusations on the first two occasions because i was scared of the manager involved... i had to write down statements denying all of it..he texted me what to say word for word.. i wrote the statement as he said.. about a week later we ran into each other outside of work and told him i had enough i wasnt going to be a part of this anymore.. the next day i went to store manager and told him everything.. they printed out phone records, had copies of receipt for abortion.. the next day they fired him ... (this was in august 09).. i was out of work for about a week beacuse i was scared he might come in...my district hr manager told me she would check up on me in a week... never heard from her...
    well to make a long story short i still work at the same place.. and just recently started looking in maybe filing a lawsuit.. just wanted some feed back.. does this seem like a case?

As I understand it, when you finally complained to upper management about him they immediately fired him. If so, you do not have a lawsuit against the company because they took immediate action to stop the harassment as soon as they were aware of it.

If you want to know if you can sue the manager directly, you'll need to talk to a lawyer in your state.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

HR found out about it months before i was approached my other managers.. but she never did anything.. other employees saw what was going on and went to her.. she never sat down with me about it...

Comment

So why didn't YOU report it personally?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If this was from 1-09 until 8-09 when they fired him, it might be a little late to
          consider a lawsuit.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

i was afraid of saying anything.. he made me believe if i ever said anything i would lose my job.. guess i was young and naive.. well i understand its been awhile and is probably too late but i want closure and i feel that by him losing his job it wasnt enough... after all i had to give up my child

Comment

i figured time would heal my resentment and pain.. but it slightly dulled it... i was just very disappointed in the utter lack of caring my employer had for the situation.. it was just business as usual on their part

Comment

Agreed it's too late. You must file with the EEOC within 180 days of the last occurrence.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by katdidwhat View Post
                  i figured time would heal my resentment and pain.. but it slightly dulled it... i was just very disappointed in the utter lack of caring my employer had for the situation.. it was just business as usual on their part
                  Maybe if you looked for employment elsewhere that would help.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

When management investigated what was going on, you repeatedly denied everything. When you finally told a manager what had taken place, your immediate manager was fired so that was the end of it. For HR not to pursue the situation when they found out about it was inexcusable but as the others have said, it's far too late to take any legal action against the company.

You had 180 days to file a complaint with the EEOC and, in most States, 300 days to file a complaint of SH with the State. If you want to see if you can take legal action directly against the manager who repeatedly harassed and sexually assaulted you, you will need to see a local attorney.

I also suggest you seek the services of a therapist. I certainly understand that this entire situation and feeling forced to have an abortion was extremely traumatic. Counseling may help you get over this and put it in the past. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X