Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEMP AGENCY WON'T LET ME WORK FOR THE SAME COMPANY IN ANOTHER POSITION. Georgia

The temp agency I work for never had me sign a contract and told me that when I cashed my check that was my contract. They sent me to work at a warehousing co. as a forklift driver. The warehouse manager wants to hire me as a inventory cleck that is in no way connected to the forklift job the agency sent me there to do. The Temp agency will not let them hire me without paying for my remaining hours. Is this legal? And why does the temp agency say they have a contract with me and I never signed anything other than the application with them?

It's 100% legal and is standard in the temp industry. The agency has a contract with their customer which, among other things, delineates the amount the customer must pay to the agency if they want to hire you directly before XX period of time (it's usually 3-6 months). If the customer doesn't want to pay that to hire you, then that deal is temporarily off the table.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. Just to be clear, the contract between the employer and the temp agency is the important one. That is almost certainly legal, enforcable and very well established law. Any "contract" you might have signed is not nothing, but a whole lot more problematic. The agency is not relying on your contract, they are relying on their contract with the employer.

------

Not your question, but I have been on the other side of these things (a lot). I have tended to use a fair number of temps, some worth keeping. The problem is that your employer is not willing to pay the required fee. Worse, we are in a very down economy. The employer is going to get a lot of applications for any jobs. It would be very hard to talk any employer into paying finder's fees in a down economy.

I understand that this is not the answer that you are looking for.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Also agree. The contract is not between you and the staffing agency, it's between the staffing agency and their client. I can guarantee that the contract includes a statement saying that the client cannot hire one of their staffing employees before "X" anount of time (typically 3 - 6 months) or pay a "buy out" fee to the agency.

Perfectly legal and absolutely standard in the industry.

Comment

Working...
        X