This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next step Georgia

Ok, I've worked in a call center (a job i got through the department of labor called "the Georgia Works Program") as a documented employee for over 4 months being paid $10/hr.

But for the last month i haven't been paid! I received a check that i deposited and immediately withdrew the money, then when my bank went to collect from my employer's bank, there was no money in the account. Now my bank has docked and close my account for these funds and late fee's. I still haven't received the check i'm owed AFTER that one!

My employer (CEO mind you) keeps making these promises about when I will get paid and has yet to meet their own stated deadline. I am supposed to receive another check this Friday and don't think I will, making it a month and a half since being adequately compensated for labor provided.

Today I left the office after being informed that another deadline will not be met. And now have said they are terminating me or classifying that as "job abandonment?" Can they fire me? I haven't been paid in a month! What is my next step toward getting this situation resolved? and what do i do if am classified as that "Job Abandonment?"

If you were in a state other than GA, I would refer you to the state DOL.

Since you are in GA, where the DOL has been referred to as a post office box where no one ever picks up the mail, I would suggest that you either sue the employer in small claims court for the amount you are owed, or file a complaint with the US DOL.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      If you were in a state other than GA, I would refer you to the state DOL.

Since you are in GA, where the DOL has been referred to as a post office box where no one ever picks up the mail, I would suggest that you either sue the employer in small claims court for the amount you are owed, or file a complaint with the US DOL.
      What about their threats to file me under "Work Abandonment?" Should i continue working while looking for other employment or quit altogether and file the claim (which will leave me ineligible for unemployment). Also, there are still employees there working on the same program i came in under. Should i notify the dept. of labor?

Comment

File, it can't hurt. No guarantees but it is possible that if you left because you hadn't been paid in months, you might qualify.

And of course you should be looking for another job.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The Georgia Works program is administered by the Georgia DOL. You need to go back to the same career center where they set you up for this position and tell them the situation.
          I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agree with both pieces of advice. The state DOL probably can't get you your wages, but they can certainly decertify this company as a recommended employer.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X