This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defendent in Appeal Case. Georgia

I have a question. I was awarded unemployment and now my former employer is appealing and my case is next week. I have several job interviews this week, if I get one of these jobs and withdraw my claim for unemployment will the appeal still take place? I am asking because I am scared I might have to work during the time that my trial is to be held. I am scared that if it is that I will miss it and be forced to pay back the four weeks of unemployment that I was given.

Withdrawing the claim isn't going to do you any good, because you've already been paid benefits. If you lose, you will be "asked" to pay them back.

I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes. Is this a phone hearing or do you have to appear in person? I'm sure a new employer would understand.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 07-07-2009, 04:41 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am already being paid benefits. If I get a job this week then I will no longer need to get my unemployment because I will have a job. That is why I am asking if the case will continue even if I get a job and don't need unemployment any more. Sorry if my posting was confusing.

Comment

But you don't "withdraw" your claim once you start working. You just stop filing the weekly/biweekly certification. If you don't show up, your chances of not prevailing are not as good as if you do show up, because you can't defend yourself if you aren't there.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Crap. I was hoping that because I no longer needed unemployment by getting a job that it would be pointless and I wouldn't have to deal with the appeal.

Comment

You don't want to run the risk of not showing up and losing and having to pay the benefits back.

Comment

Working...
            X