This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denied vacation Georgia

Can a city employee who is in good standing (never been reprimanded) and used very little vacation time over the 3 years of employment be denied vacation requests indefinitely? The most recent request was only for one day, but the city will not approve the vacation saying no one on the shift will be approved at any time. Can they say that??? They also say that they will not pay for any unused vacation at the end of the year...how can they refuse to let an employee have earned vacation AND not pay them for the unused vacation hours?

Unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, vacation is ALWAYS at the opt of the employer. They are not obligated to allow you to take it when you want; they need only allow you to take it when it is convenient for them.

In your state, vacation is not considered wages, so it is not an entitlement that you are entitled to receive in either time or dollars. I'm not saying I agree, but so far no one has made me either state or Federal Labor Secretary. They can refuse to let you take vacation and still not pay you for unused vacation hours because there is no law that says they have to do otherwise.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X