This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Denied. Insufficient Reason Georgia

I was recently denied unemployment because my reason for departure was not considered a good enough work connected reason.

I desperately need help. For 2 months I've been searching relentlessly for a job since I moved from the city, and no one is hiring. I could really use the aid of unemployment but they denied me.

Could someone give me some useful tips on how to appeal for unemployment benefits.

Care to share a few details on why you left?
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I was living on my own, and working one full time job and one part time job. I was still making barely enough to live on my own. So I decided to move home with my mother to save and pay for my school loans.

I filed for unemployment. The reason stated was: I quit to relocate home after completing college so I could save money in order to pay bills.

Section 34-8-194 (1) of the Employment Security Law says that if you quit your most recent employer without a good reason connected with the work, you cannot be paid unemployment benefits. The law says that you have to show, you quit for good work-connected reasons...

And so they stated that my reason for leaving may have been a good personal reason; however, it is not considered a good work connected reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukino View Post
        And so they stated that my reason for leaving may have been a good personal reason; however, it is not considered a good work connected reason.
        I agree with them but it never hurts to appeal, doesn't cost you anything but it's a real longshot.

Unemployment is stretched super thin as it is with millions who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. I don't see them reversing their decison, you quit.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Thanks for your input.. I'm going to try to appeal for it.

Comment

You don't get unemployment ins. when you quit your job & for the reason you did.

However, as the other responder noted, it never hurts to appeal. It's doubtful you will be approved though.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

ok... Would it matter if I added that my hours had been drastically cut, leaving me with only the decision to move home so that i could save money?

Comment

Is that the truth? You didn't mention it before.

Regardless I wouldn't be very hopeful.

Comment

yes, it's true. But ok... I'll take what I get. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. This is the very first post I've ever made so it is exciting to get feed back anyway.

Comment

It would have been better if you continued working with the reduced hrs. The unemployment ins. folks prefer you have some income as opposed to none. You might have been able to get partial UI benefits while working due to the cut in hrs. Some states will give partial UI while still working when there's a significant reduction in hours.

Anyway, go ahead & appeal & see what happens.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

That's exactly what they told me, too, when I was denied benefits - not a good "work connected" reason. I did voluntarily leave my job but our reasons are quite different.

Georgia law (O.C.G.A. 34-8-194(1)) says that a person can voluntarily quit their job BUT it must be for a good reason.

I appealed their decision but got nowhere. I even contacted my state senator and representative. One of them asked what a work connected reason is - or an example of a "good" one. When I asked the Labor Dept. that question, they refused to say so I wouldn't tell anyone else. It was very insulting.

Good luck - maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Comment

Working...
                      X