Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered a full time employee in Florida?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered a full time employee in Florida?

Hi, I would like to know what is considered a full time employee in Florida? Does an employee have to work so many hours per week during a certain lenght of time to be considered full time?

Thanks,
    deebee

Nothing in the law of any state dictates when an employee is full time and when s/he is part time. An employee is full time when the employer (and/or their insurance carrier) says they are.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

while I was in Michigan, if you worked an average of 32 hours per week for two consecutive quarters, the employer was required to make you full time.

Comment

Can you show us the statute that says so?

This thread is several years old. Since that time, my state has passed a law that makes 35 hours per week full time for health insurance benefits ONLY. Do you have support for your claim for Michigan?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I was there back in 1996-1999 and since went abroad. and now back in US.
          I was told this by our HR director so we needed to watch hours for part time people if we were not able to give them enough hours after busy two quarters.
          So, no, I do not personally have back up, and it may have changed, Michigan is also a big union state too.

Comment

Sounds as if it might have been company policy or union contract rather than law.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, laws do change. But I've had employees in Michigan and never found anything to support that.

Comment

Working...
            X