TERMINATION BECAUSE OF CHANGE OF SCHEDULE Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERMINATION BECAUSE OF CHANGE OF SCHEDULE Florida

Hi, I have a question, My wife has her work schedule and the company changed the schedule without notifying of the change, They added a day, Sunday, and she can not work due to prior commitments, can they fire her for not going in? she has not worked since the schedule was posted so unless she called or went in she would never have seen the change. Please let me know, Thanks, Don

Yes, they can. I'm not saying they will, but they can.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The employer sets the schedule, not the employee. She needs to work whatever schedule given her (minus a binding employment contract to the contrary). If she doesn't, yes she "can be" terminated.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The others are correct however, as a practical matter, there may be some actions she can take. You don't mention what kind of commitments, but if there is a religious reason she can not work Sundays, she needs to talk to her employer. A preference does not carry legal weight but it is possible that they can/will/must make an accommodation for actual religious beliefs if it is reasonable to do so and would not present an undue hardship. There is the legal standard, then there is what most reasonable employers will do if they can to retain a good employee. It may be that her employer is not aware of her obligations on Sunday. She can try talking to her supervisor to see why the change in schedule was made and explain the situation. Remain professional and avoid accustaions and whining about it being unfair. Be willing to compromise. If her obligations end at a certain time, perhaps she can adjust her schedule that day to come in afterward.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X