This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• innocent until proven guilty??? Florida

my fiance has been charged with 3rd degree child abuse without great harm on my niece. they have no physical evidence that he did it besides that she was in his care when the bruises appeared. the medical examiner said that they would of had to been causes 24-48 hours before they appeared yet the local sheriffs office decided differently. he is a construction worker currently building a high school and today he was told he cannot continue working on that job. his company doesnt have many jobs going on right now so in the event that they dont have any other work, are they allowed to fire/suspend him?

Yes, it would be legal to fire or suspend him as long as he isn't discriminated
    against (fired/suspended) due to a reason prohibited by law (age, religion, gender...) or unless
    he would have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Innocent until proven guilty is a concept he takes into court with him. It does not apply in employment situations.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed with the above. The school has the right to discharge an employee/contractor for anything aside from protected characteristics. In addition, it has requirement to do what they can to protect the children. Guilty or not, your fiance is charged with child abuse. If I were a parent, I would not want a person with that sort of investigation ongoing to be near my child. It would open up serious liability for the school if anything were to happen.

Comment

"If" he would get fired, he should apply for unemployment ins. - the state
          will make the decision whether he will receive it or not.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X