This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to perform company work on days off

I had a minor medical emergency at work and left early from work. Now my boss is telling me that I must go to make a medical appointment with the company Dr. on my own time to make sure that the issue will not affect my job performance again. When I told her that I would do so on company time, she told me that I had to do it on my own time or use my unpaid sick time to do this. It is not I who wishes to see the doctor but the company management who is requiring me to go. After arguing about it she has told me that I have to go see the Dr, and afterwards they will decide if they are going to pay me for my time or not. Can I be forced to perform a company ordered visit to a doctor on my time, with no pay, if I have no desire to do so.

Just to verify, are you non exempt or salaried exempt?

Was this a work related minor medical emergency?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Just to verify, are you non exempt or salaried exempt?

Was this a work related minor medical emergency?
      I am a union employee, under contract, but don't think that this is covered in our "contract". This was a minor medical issue that I had to leave early for, and have been to see a Dr about this issue. My point is not going to the company Dr, just that I want to be paid for my time. Not directly work related to answer your question.

Comment

Then see your union representative.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
          Then see your union representative.
          Definitely. CBAs are way too complex and have far too many clauses for us to properly comment here. Your union rep is going to have the most expertise on your particular situation.

Comment

My problem is this...we have a small private union, (20,000) members, not a big TWU or Teamsters union. A lot of the time, they seem to "negotiate" some agreement in order to avoid having arbitration which costs them money. I am not salaried. I am on an hourly pay, I just need to know if there is any law that says that I have to show for a company required doctor visit on my own time, or there is a law that says that I have to be on pay status. What if I get in a car accident on the way to the Dr visit? I am doing company work but not on company time. It is not my idea to go to the Dr. We are also, under company policy not allowed to use sick time to visit the doctor, we are told that we have to do so on days off. Now I am told to use unpaid sick for their Dr visit. Something doesn't match up with their policy.

Comment

We do not have access to your union agreement. Contact your representative. Only thye can answer your question.

Comment

And if your union isn't strong enough to actually enforce the terms of your CBA, then maybe it's time to find a new union.

Comment

The only time medical treatment/evaluation must be considered as work hours is in the event that you have a workplace injury AND your employer directs you to seek care that same day. The portion of the day you receive care must be considered as hours worked. There is one other exception but it isn't applicable here and only applies in CT.

Legally, they do not have to pay you for the time you are being evaluated and if you got into an accident on the way to and from it would not be WC (same as if you were driving to and from work). Your only recourse is through the union. It may or may not be covered by your CBA. It doesn't matter if you are a Teamster or part of a small bargaining unit. If it isn't covered by the CBA, it is at the discretion of the employer. The purpose of the union is to enforce the CBA, not just take up for the employee anything they find something unfair. If this is a big enough issue to you, take it to your union and when they next negotiate a contract, perhaps they will try to get this addressed.
                  I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                  X